Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Neuropathy - The Fun Never Ends

Chemotherapy-induced (chemo-induced) peripheral neuropathy may be called CIPN for short. It is a set of symptoms caused by damage to the nerves that are further away from the brain and spinal cord. These distant nerves are called peripheral nerves. They carry sensations (feeling) to the brain and control the movement of our arms and legs. They also control the bladder and bowel, though these nerves are affected less often. Chemo-induced peripheral neuropathy can be a disabling side effect of cancer treatment. It is caused by some of the chemotherapy drugs used to treat cancer."
http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/PhysicalSideEffects/ChemotherapyEffects/PeripheralNeuropathy/peripheral-neuropathy-caused-by-chemotherapy-toc

And ladies and gentleman, I have it. This is the part where the pom-poms come out and I do a little cheer right? Ummmmm.....no.

It is nothing you want to have, and the more I read about it, the more it sucks. I have a constant tingling, burning sensation in my fingers and I have it somewhat in my toes. I am taking Hydroxyzone for it, and can take and anti-depressant, ametrytiline which helps to calm the nerves. It also gives you some weird dreams. I am holding off on that one as long as I can. I had to take it to help prevent anymore reactions after the second chemo, and it worked. But the things I dreamed..... crazy.....
And now have a call into my doctor because my freaking feet and hands are just absolutely swollen. You can't even see my ankle bones anymore. Just call me sausage legs people....what an awesome name! Not sure what they are going to do about it right now. I am supposed to have surgery in one week to have my left expander put back in but with all of this new stuff going on, maybe I won't......it sucks to be me sometimes.

At least I have coaching to keep my mind off of how horrible all of this really is. And it is going to get me back in shape too.....well, I hope.

2 comments:

  1. No doubt about it, this sucks! I am glad you have coaching to keep you going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Brittney, thank god for coaching and keeping my mind on other stuff. And it gets my heart rate up and eases me back into getting back in shape. Let me tell you how ridiculous it is that I am hitting grounders and pop-flies and I am panting because I am so out of shape. I can barely lift a 60lb bag of concrete anymore and before it was no problem. Stupid cancer!

    ReplyDelete